Effective Date: November 16, 2020
Table of Contents
- WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU?
- HOW DO WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM YOU?
- WITH WHOM DO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION?
- COOKIES AND OTHER PASSIVE COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES
- SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH THIRD PARTY BUSINESS PARTNERS
- DATA RETENTION
- YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
- LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES
- HOW TO CONTACT US
Beacon Roofing Supply Canada Company (“Beacon,” “we,” “our,” or “us”) respects and values your privacy. As part of our commitment to use the information you share with us responsibly, we want you to be familiar with how we collect, use, and disclose information relating to you, your computer, or your device and that enables your identification (“Personal Information”).
This Privacy and Cookie Notice (this “Notice”) describes how we process Personal Information about you in the course of operating our business in Canada, including Personal Information that we collect through each website or application operated and controlled by us from which you are accessing this Notice (the “Site”). This Notice does not apply to information about our employees. By using the Site or otherwise providing us with Personal Information, you agree to the terms and conditions of this Notice.
1. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU?
a. What You Give Us
You may voluntarily provide Personal Information to us in the following ways:
- When You Contact Us: If you contact us with questions about our products or services or with other inquiries or comments, we collect your name and contact information and any other information that choose you provide.
- Sign Up for Updates: We collect your email address when you sign up to receive news, tips, tools and product updates from us.
- Registration For An Account: If you register for an account with us, we will collect the information that you voluntarily provide when registering. This information may include your name, the name of your employer, and your business contact information, including your street address, email address, and telephone number. You may also be asked to provide a username and password.
- Credit Application Forms: When you apply for credit we collect information about your business including business name, business contact information, type of business, length of time in business, amount of credit requested, anticipated monthly orders, banking information, and supplier references. We will also collect information about individuals at your business including the president, vice president, treasurer, authorized signers and guarantors (as applicable). This information may include name and personal contact information, date of birth and social insurance number (if provided).
- Contests and Promotions: If you choose to participate in a contest or sweepstakes, we may collect your name and contact information and any other information you provide in the contest or promotion application form.
- Order Information: When you purchase a product or service from us, we collect your name, purchase information, billing and shipping addresses, phone number, email address, and other contact information. We also collect payment information, such as banking information or payment card information.
- Warranty Information: We collect information in connection with product warranties including your name and contact information and information about the product(s) under warranty.
- Employment Applications: If you apply for an employment opportunity, you may provide us with certain personal information about yourself (such as information contained in a resume, cover letter or similar employment-related materials, or any applicable pre-screening questions).
- Subscribe to Mailing List: If you subscribe to our mailing list, we will collect your email address.
- Third Party Programs or Applications. Some programs, applications, or services in which you may participate through the Site are provided and operated by one of our third-party business partners, but the Personal Information you supply through such programs, applications, and services will also be received by Beacon. Our treatment of your Personal Information that is provided to participate in such a third-party program, application, or service is governed by this Notice, and the treatment of your Personal Information by our third-party business partners will be governed by the privacy policies of such third parties. See section 5 for more information about third party programs and applications.
We may combine Personal Information you submit through the Site with other information we have collected from you, whether on-line or off-line. We treat the combined information in accordance with this Notice.
b. Information from Third Parties
If you apply for credit, we may request and obtain, from time to time, personal, credit and financial information about you from credit reporting agencies, your bank and your supplier references.
c. Information from Use of the Site
d. Location Data
If you use certain parts of our Site, we may collect location data obtained from your IP address. Similarly, if you use Sites that are mobile websites, mobile applications, or other smart device applications we may collect location data obtained from your device. We use this location data to find our nearest store to you.
e. Data about Children
We do not knowingly collect Personal Information through the Site from children under the age of 13. We reserve the right to delete any information identified as having been provided through the Site from children under the age of 13.
2. HOW DO WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM YOU?
We use Personal Information that we collect for the purposes described in this Notice and as otherwise described to you at the point of collection. Generally, we use the information you provide for the reason for which it was provided. For example, if you contact us by e-mail, we will use the Personal Information you provide to answer your question or resolve your problem and will respond to the email address from which the contact came. We may also use Personal Information about you as specifically described below:
- Requests, Inquiries, and Applications: We may use your Personal Information to process, evaluate, and respond to your requests, inquiries, and applications. So, if you provide us with information to apply for an account with Beacon, we will use the information you provide to process and evaluate your application for that purpose. If you provide us with Personal Information to apply for credit, we use that information to assess your current and ongoing creditworthiness and eligibility for credit. If you provide us with Personal Information to participate in a contest or promotion, we may use your information to administer your participation. If you request certain information from us, we will use your Personal Information to process and respond to your request.
- To Process Orders and Manage Warranties: We use your Personal Information for purposes of fulfilling orders and ensuring delivery. We also use your Personal Information to manage product warranties.
- Manage Our Relationship With You: We may use your Personal Information to send you important information regarding our relationship with you or regarding our business, our products and services and the Site, such as information about changes to our terms, conditions, policies, and other administrative information, or about changes to any of our programs in which you might be enrolled.
- Internal Business Purposes: We may use your Personal Information for internal business purposes, including without limitation, to help us operate, evaluate, and improve the quality of the Site; to better understand those individuals that utilize the Site; to verify your identity; to prevent, protect against, identify, or address fraud, unauthorized activity, claims, liabilities, and other wrongdoing; to provide you with customer service; and to generally manage our business.
- Employment: If you provide Personal Information to apply for a job with Beacon, we may use the Personal Information you provide to evaluate your job application, consider you for that job or for similar jobs in the future, and contact you regarding possible employment.
- Analytics: We may use Traffic Data to perform market research and data analytics. To learn more about how we use Traffic Data, please see Section 4 of this Notice.
- Legal Requirements, Industry Standards, and Contractual Obligations: We may use your Personal Information for complying with and enforcing applicable legal requirements, industry standards, and our contractual obligations and as otherwise permitted or required by law.
We may use non-personal information or aggregate information that cannot identify an individual without restriction, and we may share such information with third parties.
3. WITH WHOM DO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION?
We may share your Personal Information as described in this Notice or as otherwise described to you at the point of collection.
- Affiliates: We may share your Personal Information with our affiliates for purposes consistent with this Notice. Our affiliates will be bound to maintain that Personal Information in accordance with this Notice.
- Agents, Consultants, and Service Providers: We may share your Personal Information with individuals or companies that we hire to provide services to us, such as website hosting services, payment processors and information technology service providers.
- Third Party Business Partners: Certain programs, applications, or services available through the Site are made available through third party business partners. Although our treatment of your Personal Information that is provided to participate in such a third-party program, application, or service is governed by this Notice, the treatment of your Personal Information by these third party business partners will be governed by the privacy policies of such third parties. See section 5 for more information about our Third Party Business Partners.
- Business Transfers: We may transfer your Personal Information in the event of a business sale, merger, consolidation, change in control, transfer of substantial assets, bankruptcy, liquidation, or reorganization. We may also disclose your Personal Information in the course of due diligence of such a transaction. You acknowledge and agree that any successor to or acquirer of Beacon (or its assets) will continue to have the right to use your Personal Information and other information in accordance with this Notice and applicable laws.
- Legal Requirements: We use and disclose Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (i) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (ii) to comply with legal process; (iii) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (iv) to enforce our terms and conditions; (v) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (vi) to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others; and (vii) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- Passively Collected Information: We may share Traffic Data that does not identify you directly, but may identify your computer or device, as described in Sections 4 of this Notice.
4. COOKIES AND OTHER PASSIVE COLLECTION TECHNOLOGIES
As you navigate the Site, certain Traffic Data may be passively collected, meaning it is gathered without your actively providing it. This is done using the following technologies in the following ways:
Through your browser: Certain information is collected by most browsers, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type and operating system type and version screen resolution, and Internet browser type and version.
Through your device: If you access the Site through a mobile device or other network-connected product, certain information may be collected about that device, including your device type, network service provider, and other identifiers. We may collect unique device identifiers (such as IDFA and AID tags and UUID and UDID identifiers) associated with the devices you use to access the Site.
You can set your browser to notify you before you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether to accept it. You can also set your browser to turn off cookies.
Using Monitoring Tools: Cookies are not the only way to recognize or track visitors to a website. We may use other, similar technologies from time to time, like web beacons (sometimes called “tracking pixels” or “clear gifs”) to better tailor the Site in order to provide a better service. These are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognize when someone has visited our Site. These technologies usually work in conjunction with cookies. To disable cookies used on our Site, and therefore any other tracking technologies that work in conjunction with these cookies, please follow the instructions below.
IP Address: Your IP Address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider. An IP Address is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user visits the Site, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP Addresses is standard practice on the Internet and is done automatically by many online service providers, including website operators. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating Site usage levels, helping diagnose server problems, and administering the Site.
Social Media Plug-Ins: We use social media plug-ins from social media networks like Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter, which are labeled on our Site with the well-known symbols of the respective social network. If you interact with these plug-ins, your activity on the Site may also be made available to those social networks. In order to understand how those social networks use and disclose your Personal Information, please review the privacy policies available on the websites of those social networks.
Do Not Track Signals: Our Site currently does not respond to “Do Not Track” (DNT) signals and operates as described in this Notice whether or not a DNT signal is received.
Although our use of passive collection technologies may change over time as technology evolves, the above descriptions are designed to provide you with additional detail about our current approach to information collected from passive technologies.
5. SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH THIRD PARTY BUSINESS PARTNERS
Some programs, applications, or services in which you may participate are provided and operated by our third-party business partners. These include programs such as Online Bill Pay. These programs, applications, and services are jointly branded by Beacon and the relevant third-party business partner so that you can identify the relevant third-party business partner. Our treatment of your Personal Information that is provided to participate in such a third-party program, application, or service is governed by this Notice, and the treatment of your Personal Information by our third-party business partners will be governed by the privacy policies of such third parties. While we endeavor to share your Personal Information only with third-party business partners that will respect your Personal Information, we do not control how these third parties use or disclose your Personal Information.
We take what we believe to be reasonable steps to protect the Personal Information collected by us from loss, misuse, unauthorized use, access, inadvertent disclosure, alteration, and destruction, including by limiting access to Personal Information to our employees, consultants and service providers who require access for the purposes described in this Notice. However, no network, server, database, or Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure, error-free, or “hacker proof.” Therefore, you should take special care in deciding what information you provide to us. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any Personal Information.
7. DATA RETENTION
We maintain Personal Information on our servers or servers maintained by our affiliates or service providers. We, our affiliates or service providers may process or store Personal Information outside of Canada, including in the United States.
We generally retain Personal Information for so long as it may be relevant to the purposes above, or for longer when required by law. To dispose of Personal Information, we may anonymize it, delete it, or take other appropriate steps. Even if we delete your Personal Information, it may persist on backup or archival media for an additional period of time for legal, tax, or regulatory reasons, or for legitimate and lawful business purposes.
8. YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
Opt Out From Direct Electronic Communications
Where it is in accordance with your preferences, Beacon may send you direct electronic communications, such as through email or text message. You may “opt out” of receiving these electronic communications by following the instructions in the message that you receive, or by sending an e-mail to ContactCanada@becn.com indicating which communications you no longer wish to receive. Note that if you are a customer we may still send certain administrative messages to you by email that relate to the products that you have ordered or services that you have signed up to receive.
Opt Out From Cookie-Related Processing
You can opt out from certain cookie-related processing as described in Section 4 of this Notice.
You may withdraw your consent to our collection, use or disclosure of Personal Information, subject to contractual and legal restrictions and reasonable notice.
Access and Correction
You have the right to request access to or correction of your Personal Information in our control by contacting us as described in Section 11 below. Your right to access or correct your Personal Information is subject to legal restrictions. We may take reasonable steps to verify your identity before providing access or making corrections.
9. LINKS TO THIRD PARTY SITES
At times it may be necessary for us to make changes to this Notice to reflect changes in the law, our data handling practices, or the features of our services, websites, and apps. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to update or modify this Notice at any time. Modifications to this Notice will be posted on the Site and the new Effective Date will be displayed at the top of this Notice. In certain circumstances, Beacon may, but need not, provide you with additional notice of such modifications, such as via e-mail. Modifications will be effective 30 days following the Effective Date, or such other date as communicated in any other notice to you. Where required by applicable law, we will apply changes only with your consent.
Please review this Notice periodically, and especially before you provide any Personal Information. This Notice was updated on the date indicated above. Your continued participation in our programs, services, and events following the effectiveness of any modifications to this Notice constitutes your acceptance of those modifications. If any modification to this Notice is not acceptable to you, you should cease accessing, browsing, and otherwise utilizing Beacon’s website, as well as its programs, services, and events.
11. HOW TO CONTACT US
If you have any questions regarding this Notice or the use of your Personal Information under this Notice, you can contact us at:
Beacon Roofing Supply Canada Company
13 145 Prince Arthur
Montréal, QC H1A 1A9
Attn: Controller Canada